Pages

Monday, December 02, 2013

Advent Ideas for the Bambinos

I grew up in Germany because my family was stationed there multiple times during my childhood. It is a beautiful country steeped in hospitality and tradition. One of these traditions is the use of advent calendars for kids to count down the days to Christmas. Marie #2 cannot have chocolate due to her reflux, and rather than give her a bunch of trinkets and doodads like I did last year, I opted to do an advent calendar based on activities. Some of the activities are fun, while others are based on charity and giving. They are in no particular order:

1. Set up a kid-friendly nativity
2. Watch "The Polar Express"
3. Read a Christmas story
4. Make a Christmas paper garland
5. Ride around and look at Christmas lights
6. Visit Santa
7. Go to a parade
8. Go to a tree lighting
9. Make ornaments
10. Write a letter to Santa
11. Bake cookies for Santa
12. Donate food to the local food pantry
13. Make a card for a soldier
14. Make gifts for your teachers and sitters
15. Donate 3 toys
16. Read the Christmas story
17. Watch "The Grinch"
18. Open new Christmas pjs
19. Game night
20. Make a card for the mail lady
21. Have a dance party to Christmas music
22. Have a birthday party for Jesus
23. Visit daddy at work with goodies
24. Visit a Christmas tree farm


I made 24 envelopes out of scrapbook paper. Inside of each envelope is an activity for each day. What I really love about this is that it is easy to switch out the activities based on how much time have you have to allot to your advent activity on a particular day.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you keep the envelopes safe from destructive kiddie hands, you can use them again next year!

UPDATE 12/19/13: I have somehow managed to keep up with our advent activities, although I must admit there have been days where we had to play catch-up and do two. I will say...the advent using activities, although a great way to create sweet memories and spend quality time together daily, is HARD! I may revisit this again when Marie #2 is a little bit older. Next year I think I'm going to revert back to a traditional advent calendar with goodies and treats or we may do Truth in the Tinsel.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Amber! I have to admit, it is a challenge to keep up with, but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete